Winvic Construction has once again secured a contract from IM Properties to undertake significant civils and infrastructure works at Peddimore in Birmingham. The new high-quality employment park is located in Minworth, close to Royal Sutton Coldfield.
IM Properties is Birmingham City Council’s development partner for the first phase of Peddimore, which will comprise all infrastructure works and the development of 37 hectares of the 71-hectare site.
Winvic is to deliver all of the site’s infrastructure, including earthworks, utility and drainage installation – including telecoms and water diversions – a new roundabout on the A38, estate access roads, landscaping, lighting, footpaths and cycleways.
Winvic and IM Properties have a long-term commitment to deliver a programme of community benefits, which has in part been informed by the Birmingham Skills Investment Plan, Birmingham City Council’s skills strategy to 2026. Along with this and in addition to supporting thousands of jobs, helping local people access new employment opportunities and improve their skills, Peddimore will deliver a long-term social return on investment and create a positive legacy for the years to come.
Winvic’s commitment includes:
- Promotion of local employment opportunities with Winvic and its supply chain – working with Birmingham City Council’s Employment Access Team and Peddimore Community Partners to source candidates.
- Providing training, placements and apprenticeships – through an on-site construction training hub working with local colleges and West Midland Combined Authorities’ Adult Education Budget training providers.
- Other careers and skills support – mentoring, school visits and work experience.
- Increasing local spend – commitment to spending with social enterprises, SMEs and businesses located within 30 miles of the site.
- Supporting local communities and charities – donating money and voluntary hours through Community Partner Organisations.
- Sustainability and Innovation Hub – a permanent on-site facility in 2022 aimed at educating young people about sustainability in the built environment.
Rob Cook, Winvic’s Director of Civils and Infrastructure, said: “This major new employment park is supported by a comprehensive programme of community benefits; and as Winvic has worked in partnership with IM Properties on many projects, we’re well placed to deliver on every level.
“We are already working with a number of partners to deliver our social value commitments – creating opportunities for training and skills, employment and business engagement and donating time and money to the community and its charities – and it’s exciting to be able to help people local to Minworth in a wide range of ways.
“The programme of civils and strategic infrastructure works is significant across the 71-hectare site; however, our experience of undertaking similar projects, including IM Properties’ Mercia Park, means we are confident of delivering on budget and to schedule.”
Andy Reynolds, Project Director for IM Properties, commented: “Winvic Construction is a trusted supply chain partner and equally committed to our social value and sustainability agenda. They will be working from day one to open up opportunities for local SMEs, social enterprises, young people and individuals looking to gain new skills, with on-site training facilities providing valuable experience towards achieving employment.”
Winvic started works on-site in July 2021, with the handover scheduled for June 2022.
If you would like to read more stories like this, then please click here