Multi million pound boost for Ilford Town Centre
Redbridge Council has been awarded almost £5m from Transport for London’s Crossrail Complimentary Measures fund for street improvements around Ilford, Seven Kings, Goodmayes and Chadwell Heath stations. They also plan to invest a further £2m towards work to enhance these areas, from money received from developer contributions.
The area around Ilford Station, which is a major gateway to the town itself, will particularly benefit. The funding will help revitalise Ilford Town Centre, and alongside the arrival of Crossrail, will help to make it an exciting and vibrant new quarter, with excellent transport connections.
Proposed improvements include:
- a more pedestrian friendly space with wider walkways and removal of guard rails at crossing points
- high quality surfacing of roads and pavements
- improved pedestrian flow by removing footway obstructions and reducing congestion caused by bus stop queues and providing better signage
- cutting edge lighting including footway lighting to enhance key areas and buildings
- new trees on pavements, making the area greener
- strong measures to reduce anti-social behaviour
The town centre improvements will take place between 2016 and 2019.
Councillor Baldesh Nijjar, Cabinet Member for Environment and Sustainability, said,
“Our plans will help to transform and revitalise Ilford Town Centre and make the shopping and leisure areas more vibrant. Alongside the arrival of Crossrail, the proposed improvements will support stronger businesses and strengthen the local economy.
“We’re committed to working with local people and I encourage all local residents as well as people who work or run businesses in Ilford to give us their views on our proposals to improve the areas in and around Ilford Station.”