HS2 will sign up to the Construction and civil engineering industries pledge and five other pledges from the Department of Health’s Public Responsibility Deal, as part of its ongoing commitment to supporting the health, safety and well being of its employees.
The six pledges cover a range of areas including:
- A health and well being strategy for staff and contractors as the project moves towards construction;
- Use of accredited occupational health providers;
- Implementing regular staff health checks;
- Procedures to support staff with chronic conditions;
- A programme of activities relating to mental health and well being; and
- Facilities for cyclists and runners.
Through signing up to these pledges HS2 aims to break new ground to establish innovative, world-class ways of working that set the standard for the rest of the industry, by committing to the promotion of health in construction and setting challenging performance standards for its supply chain.
HS2 Chief Executive, Simon Kirby said: “Thoughtful and inclusive management of our employees’ health, safety and well being can bring real benefits including better staff engagement, improved productivity and reduced staff turnover.
“The pledges we are making today are for all members of our staff and our supply chain.
“Through signing the Responsibility Deal, we recognize the importance the workplace plays in maintaining the mental and physical well-being of our staff.”