Following recent announcements in support of custom and self-build homes, the UK Government has announced that it is to launch a £100 million Brownfield Land Release Fund this month (January 2021).
The Brownfield Land Release Fund will look to support the development of brownfield estate regeneration and development on public sector land and, will also support the creation of self- and custom-build serviced plots. This announcement reflects the Government’s ambition to create more new homes for England’s cities, and is available to all councils throughout England, with the exception of Mayoral Combined Authorities.
The guidance notably states that “a significant portion of the new £100 million will go toward supporting self- and custom-builders, which is a growing sector that the Government is committed to.”
The UK Government is urging councils to prepare their bids, although bids cannot be completed until the prospectus is launched.
Andrew Baddeley-Chappell, CEO of the National Custom and Self Build Association, said: “This is more welcome news for the custom- and self-build sector. The investment in bringing forward carefully selected sites for serviced plots of land offers the opportunity to deliver a number of exemplar sites across England.
“These will act as a further catalyst for further growth as England seeks to catch up with the rest of the world with regards the level of quality, innovation and choice in our new homes market.”
Wide custom- and self-build support announced recently includes:
- Announcement of a government review of the Right to Build legislationto ensure it’s working to support custom and self-builders
- Announcement that the “the data councils collect on self- and custom-build in their area will now be published annually”by the government.
- Announcement of the forthcoming launch of a government Help to Build equity loan schemefor custom- and self-builders
Plus, recently launched by the Right to Build Task Force:
- Launch of Custom and Self-Build Planning Guidanceto support greater delivery
- Launch of a new website with updated advice notes righttobuild.org.uk
Housing Secretary Rt Hon Robert Jenrick MP recently said: “We are backing people who want to design and build their own home and I have launched a review to ensure councils provide enough land and take proper consideration for these homes when making planning decisions in their area.”
If you would like to read more stories like this, then please click here